raf cardington bedford (balloon unit 1958)

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
tessy2310
raf cardington bedford (balloon unit 1958)

hi there im just hoping that there was somone in this forum that was in the balloon unit from cardington

as my dad (derrick coupland ) was based there and went out to chrismas island in 1958 testing the a&h bombs

i was just trying to find some one that was there with him . any tiny bit on ifomation would be so welcome

thanks

Dave
Dave's picture

Tessy,

I wish you the best of luck in finding someone who knew your Father.  There are a few Ex- Balloon Men in the litigation  so hopefully someone will get in touch.

I was in the Royal Engineers and although I never met you Father, we would have been billeted close together at the forward area during the tests in 1958.

Best of luck and good wishes.

Dave

Dave

Derek Crutcher

Hello there my name is Derek Crutcher ex Senior Aircraftsman in the Balloon Unit we were on the same detachment to Christmas Island in 1958. we were there for  the Atom bomb tests and we also witnessed the hydrogen bomb tests - happy memories . regards Derek

Dave
Dave's picture

Hello Derek,

I expect you were billeted at 'B' Site (The Human Guinea Pigs) on Christmas Island.  I knew it as 'C' Camp but the Ministry of Defence plead ignorant to 'C' Camps existence, but they are aware of 'B' site and don't like to answer any questions about it.  It was mainly Royal Engineers living there, some were working for the AWRE and others were working on the Aeon Airfield, and the RAF Ballon Squad.   Are you in the litigation?

I tried to contact you earlier but I lost my password and couldn't get onto the site.

All the best

Dave

Dave

Jim Fraser

Hello,  My name is Jim Fraser and I knew your dad in Christmas Island.  We shared the same tent!  I will wait for your reply and can then give you more info.

Kind Regards  Jim Fraser

Dave
Dave's picture

Hello Chris Fish, Jim Fraser and Derek Crutcher,

I have just been sent reminders of your letter to the forum and it appears some items are going missing or are deleted.  I will try again in the hope this one is printed.

Chris, I sent you copies of the bulletins to both chrisfish and chisfish e-mail addresses.  The one to 'chisfish' was returned but I have never heard if you got the originals so I have sent them again.

Jim,It was not my Dad who went to Christmas Island, it was me!.  Were you in 61 Fd Sqn?

Derek, we would have been in the same area 'B' site at Christmas Island, I have rather a lot of information on this area now that may be of interest to you if you are in the litigation.

My e-mail address is dave.whyte@blueyonder.co.uk if you want to get in contact with me direct.

All the best

Dave

Dave

Jim Fraser

Hello Dave. I remember your name.  I remember Derrick Coupland also, the father of a previous thread by Tessy, but she has not replied to me.

regards Jim fraser

Jim Fraser

HI DEREK CRUTCHER.  JIM FRASER HERE. DO YOU REMEMBER ME FROM CHRISTMAS ISLAND? WE WERE IN THE SAME TENT. DO YOU REMEMBER LEN SLADE, I THINK HE LIVES IN FLORIDA NOW.    WOULD BE GOOD TO HAVE A CHAT ON THE PHONE.  MY NO. IS. 01962 883672

REGARDS JIM